Learning Bridge Early Education Center has deep roots in Evanston’s preschools, community and civic life.
The need for child care as women worked outside the home during WWII led to establishing the Child Care Association (CCA) in 1944.
July 1944 - First site opens in Bethel A.M.E. Church at Lyons and Darrow spearheaded by the Evanston Women’s Club and Evanston Community Chest. Later that year, another site opened at the First Church of God on Simpson, and CCA included a whites-only site at Stow House on Ashland. Reflective of this era of American history, even daycare centers were segregated.
November 1946 - At the end of WWII, reincorporated as the Evanston Child Care Association (ECCA). The white students were sent to Evanston Day Nursery and the two preschool sites for black students were combined at First Church of God.
Mid- 1950’s - Greater demand results in a new program for half-day kindergarten at Foster School. The First Church of God center had 50 students, 4 teachers, and a custodian. Fees were $2.02 a day per child.
November 1966-69 - ECCA moves to Congregational Church of Evanston due to fire and safety regulations. In spring of 1967, ECCA raised $125,000 and purchased the property at 1840 Asbury Avenue, the current home of Learning Bridge.
1969 - ECCA opens in new building as a fully integrated child care center after the Civil Rights Act.
1972 - ECCA expands again to open its Infant Toddler Home Day Care Program with 20 licensed home care providers.
1994 - ECCA renamed Child Care Center of Evanston, offering excellent full-day preschool care.
2017 - Child Care Center of Evanston receives the Award of Excellence from ExeceleRate Illinois, and is renamed Learning Bridge Early Education Center. Now with 5 classrooms for 95 students, and 6 home daycare providers serving 22 infants and toddlers, this Center is the longest standing, largest and most comprehensive preschool and early learning center in Evanston!